The names of the UIW wireless networks are changing. The new networks are designed with improved user experience in mind and will help UIW meet the growing demand for wireless connectivity. NEW WIRELESS NETWORKS ARE:
- uiw-employees (connectivity for all employees anywhere across UIW)
- uiw-students (connectivity for students in residence halls and academic buildings)
- uiw-guests (provides connectivity through a registration portal…good for 24 hours per registration)
- uiw-resnet-limited (only in residence halls for gaming consoles and similar devices)
All UIW Campuses and buildings
The new networks are available now. The old “uiwtx-wpa” network will be turned off by close of business on Friday the 11th of August.
Users also should note that during the testing period, uiw-guests was open to anyone and did not require registration. Starting 6pm on Sunday August 13th, all guest registration (including in residence halls) will be redirected to a guest registration portal. UIW employees and students should use their respective wireless network rather than the guest network.
REQUIRED USER ACTION:
Users can login to the appropriate network with their UIW username and password.
WHAT: A blown City Public Service (CPS) electrical transformer has resulted in a loss of power at the DataPoint campus and throughout the local area.
WHEN: Today at 2:20 PM – TBD
SERVICES NOT IMPACTED:
SERVICES INTERRUPTED: All electrical systems, phones, and other technology systems/services are offline.
If you have issues please contact the help desk at (210) 829-2721.
WHAT: As part of a major network upgrade, the UIW Infrastructure team must perform an upgrade to network equipment. This upgrade requires intermittently breaking the University’s connection to the Internet for a period of time.
WHEN: This SUNDAY, August 6th from 5 PM – 10 PM.
SERVICES NOT IMPACTED:
- Offsite access to E-mail (Outlook and webmail) and OneDrive Files
SERVICES INTERRUPTED: All Internet based services / website access including but not limited to:
- MyWord Portal
- Library Resources
- Service Now
- Blackboard Transact System
- BannerWeb (for external users)
- OmniUpdate Website management
- Telephone Calls from Avaya or Cisco handsets may fail during upgrade window
- Off site VPN will not work
RESIDENTIAL INTERNET: Will be impacted with intermittent loss of connectivity throughout the outage window.
REQUIRED USER ACTION: Users are encouraged to refrain from attempting to use any network services during this time.
Employees may have had issues with their voicemail including the phone voicemail light not working and no notifications. This issue was the result of a technical problem in the Avaya switch. The issue has been fixed. Users may now see voicemails they had previously missed because of this glitch in the notification system.